the southside group
We are a (roughly) biweekly lunch group composed of George Mason faculty and students. We are open to anyone interested in participating in an eclectic and serious discussion of contemporary problems under the broad rubric of political economy.
Matt Scherer, Steve Pearlstein, and Bassam Haddad are the principal organizers of the southside group. Our emails are on our respective George Mason faculty pages.
Spring 2019 schedule
7 FEB – 1. “Study”
- Moten, Fred, and Stefano Harney. The undercommons: Fugitive planning and black study. Wivenhoe, UK & New York: Minor Compositions, 2013. Preface—Chapter 3.
28 FEB – 2. The Color of Law and a Consumer’s Republic
- Rothstein, Richard. The color of law: A forgotten history of how our government segregated America. Liveright Publishing, 2017.
- Cohen, Lizabeth: A Consumers’ Republic: the politics of mass consumption in postwar America. Vintage 2003. --- Chapters 3,4,5.
21 MAR – 3. Gentrification: The Brooklyn Brownstone – with Prof. Suleiman Osman
***We will meet at 'the Globe' this week.
4 APR – 4. More “Study”
- Moten, Fred, and Stefano Harney. The undercommons: Fugitive planning and black study. Wivenhoe, UK & New York: Minor Compositions, 2013. Chapters 4–7.
18 APR 5. Neoliberalism and Home Rule: DC – with Prof. Johanna Bockman
- Bockman, Johanna. "Home rule from below: The cooperative movement in Washington, DC." Capital Dilemma: Growth and Inequality in Washington, DC (2016): 67-85. + etc.
2 MAY – 6. Public Palaces
- Klinenberg, Eric. Palaces for the People: how social infrastructure can help fight inequality, polarization, and the decline of civic life. Penguin, 2018.
- Honig, Bonnie. Public Things: democracy in disrepair. Fordham University Press, 2017. Introduction and Epilogue.
Meetings in Southside Dining Hall, Blackstone Private Dining Room. RSVP under 'events' on ppe.gmu.edu to get on list for free lunch.
Exception: March 21 we will meet in The Globe, Private Dining Room. RSVP still helpful.
Mostly faculty 11-12, mostly students 12-1. All people welcome. Questions? email@example.com http://surplus-value.org/southside
Amazon shopping list for all texts: http://a.co/fZpqG0p
southside web site
view google calendar
subscribe to calendar